MethoniBikes
41 6 16

Βαθμός δυσκολίας   Μέτριο

Moving time  34 λεπτά

Ώρα  μια ώρα 9 λεπτά

Σύνολο σημείων 321

Uploaded 29 Μαΐου 2018

Recorded Μαΐου 2018

-
-
116 m
18 m
0
1,7
3,5
6,93 km

8 εμφανίσεις, 0 αποθηκεύσεις

κοντά στην περιοχή Methóni, Peloponnese (Greece)

Methoni's archaeological sights
  • Φωτογραφίες Limarizi square
  • Φωτογραφίες Early Christian cemetery of Saint Onoufrios at Methoni
Many catacombs were found in Rome and Sicily. In Greece there is only one on the islands of Milos, relatively well preserved, and here in Methoni, almost completely destroyed. That's why we are talking about a "relic" ( or what is left of it) of the methonis catacombs. These cemeteries were underground (κατα- Greek- under, cumba - Latin- tomb, grave), being carved in areas where the soil is porous and easy to excavate. On the surface there was only the entrance covered by tree like shrubs, or by a small structure with descending steps. The dead were passed through underground corridors to the chamber (Cubiculum), with carved graves around its walls, where the dead were put "a cumba" - in the tomb. The Saint Onoufirous cemetery dates from the 4th century AD. Unfortunately the eastern part of the cemetery was destroyed by the Franks and later by the Venetians conquerors, in order to use the huge porous rock for building the fortifications of the castle of Methoni. The missing walls exposed the western site of monument which now consist of six Cubiculum and many tombs. The remains of Saint Onoufirous catacombs consists of: - the " descending steps" , the steps leading originally to the underground interior of the catacombs. At the point where the stairs turn left, there is still a carved lamp holder, which suggest, made the descents easyer by lightning the interior, - the triangular shaped cavity, assumed to be the “place and throne of the bishop" during the funeral rituals - going down below, on the left, an opening, like a big window takes us into another Cubiculum, incomplete though, abandoned during excavation by the Coppiati (Coppiati - carvers, underground corridors). Source: Οδοιπορικόν στις Εκκλησίες και τα εξωκκλήσια της σημερινής Μεθώνης ( Κ.Δ Κωστόπουλου )
  • Φωτογραφίες Early Christian cemetery of Saint Onoufrios at Methoni
Many catacombs were found in Rome and Sicily. In Greece there is only one on the islands of Milos, relatively well preserved, and here in Methoni, almost completely destroyed. That's why we are talking about a "relic" ( or what is left of it) of the methonis catacombs. These cemeteries were underground (κατα- Greek- under, cumba - Latin- tomb, grave), being carved in areas where the soil is porous and easy to excavate. On the surface there was only the entrance covered by tree like shrubs, or by a small structure with descending steps. The dead were passed through underground corridors to the chamber (Cubiculum), with carved graves around its walls, where the dead were put "a cumba" - in the tomb. The Saint Onoufirous cemetery dates from the 4th century AD. Unfortunately the eastern part of the cemetery was destroyed by the Franks and later by the Venetians conquerors, in order to use the huge porous rock for building the fortifications of the castle of Methoni. The missing walls exposed the western site of monument which now consist of six Cubiculum and many tombs. The remains of Saint Onoufirous catacombs consists of: - the " descending steps" , the steps leading originally to the underground interior of the catacombs. At the point where the stairs turn left, there is still a carved lamp holder, which suggest, made the descents easyer by lightning the interior, - the triangular shaped cavity, assumed to be the “place and throne of the bishop" during the funeral rituals - going down below, on the left, an opening, like a big window takes us into another Cubiculum, incomplete though, abandoned during excavation by the Coppiati (Coppiati - carvers, underground corridors). Source: Οδοιπορικόν στις Εκκλησίες και τα εξωκκλήσια της σημερινής Μεθώνης ( Κ.Δ Κωστόπουλου )
  • Φωτογραφίες Saint Vasilios byzantine Church
The little church dates back to 1100 B.C. and is a beautiful Byzantine construction. According to ancient sources, the temple is an example of ancient cruciform architecture which belongs to the so-called transitional type. The latter indicates the combination of the church’s plan shaping a Christian cross with the three-isled domed basilica. In the interior of the church, the archaeologists have discovered only traces of wall-paintings, mainly in the area of the sanctuary. Unfortunately, intact Byzantine frescoes have not survived in the church to the present day.
  • Φωτογραφίες Saint Vasilios byzantine Church
The little church dates back to 1100 B.C. and is a beautiful Byzantine construction. According to ancient sources, the temple is an example of ancient cruciform architecture which belongs to the so-called transitional type. The latter indicates the combination of the church’s plan shaping a Christian cross with the three-isled domed basilica. In the interior of the church, the archaeologists have discovered only traces of wall-paintings, mainly in the area of the sanctuary. Unfortunately, intact Byzantine frescoes have not survived in the church to the present day.
  • Φωτογραφίες Arch stone bridge nominated and declared historic.
  • Φωτογραφίες The Kapodistrian School of Mutual Learning in Methoni.
After the Greek War of independence (1821) Ioannis Kapodistrias, who was elected as the first "Governor" of newly liberated Greece(1827) cleamed to reorganise and reform the national education system. Two main type of schools functioned under the Kapodistrian administration. The Schools of Mutual Learning that offered primary education and The Hellenic Schools that included the teaching of Ancient Greek. The Schools of Mutual Learning reeled on "mutual teaching", since the most educated students where those, who taught the beginners under supervision of their teacher. The degree issued by Kapodistrias on August 12th imposed the mutual learning system as the official teaching method, inspired by the ideas of the French pedagogue Sarrazin. In September 1831, 31 Schools of Mutual Learning trained 2664 students in Peloponnese. One of the first such schools was The Kapodistrian School of Methoni. In 1834, 37 students in total attended the classes. According to a document dating to 3/4/1829, after the end of his tour, Ioannis Kapodistrias himself chose the location, where the school was later erected. The plan was designed by the French colonel Auday of the Morea Expedition. He was the person who designed the plan of the new city of Methoni outside the Castle. The Kapodistrian School was build in short period and it was inaugurated on August 13 1830. The school was in use throughout the 19th century, until 1940 and was a property of Greek State. On April 2 1940 the building was sold and served various purposes ever since. In 1951 by Decision of the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs the "Kapodistrian School of Methoni" was designed as "Listed Historical Monument" (Ministerial Decision 1565/71/15-2-1951. Official Journal 33/B/23-2-1951). The architectal taking mesured drawing at the monument was carried out in the 1998 by the 5th Ephorate Byzantine Antiquities. In 2000 the Greek government expropriated the property to archaeological purposes (Official Journal 76/D/14-2-2000). In 2008 in the context of the Operational Program "Culture" of the 3rd Community Support Framework the 26 Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities carried out a study for the Restoration of the School. The project "Restoratioon of the Kapodistrian School of Mutual Learning in Methoni" was implemented after being introduced to the Program "Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship" of the NSRF (National Strategic Reference Framework). The budget was 650.000,00 euro. It was carried out since February 2012 until December 2015 by the Committee for the Promotion. Restoration and Preservation of the Pylio Castles under auspices of the Directorate of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Culture and Sports. The Ephorate of Antiquities of Messinia is in charge of monuments protection and operation. Ministry of Culture and Sports - Ephorate of Antiquities of Messinia.
  • Φωτογραφίες The Kapodistrian School of Mutual Learning in Methoni.
After the Greek War of independence (1821) Ioannis Kapodistrias, who was elected as the first "Governor" of newly liberated Greece(1827) cleamed to reorganise and reform the national education system. Two main type of schools functioned under the Kapodistrian administration. The Schools of Mutual Learning that offered primary education and The Hellenic Schools that included the teaching of Ancient Greek. The Schools of Mutual Learning reeled on "mutual teaching", since the most educated students where those, who taught the beginners under supervision of their teacher. The degree issued by Kapodistrias on August 12th imposed the mutual learning system as the official teaching method, inspired by the ideas of the French pedagogue Sarrazin. In September 1831, 31 Schools of Mutual Learning trained 2664 students in Peloponnese. One of the first such schools was The Kapodistrian School of Methoni. In 1834, 37 students in total attended the classes. According to a document dating to 3/4/1829, after the end of his tour, Ioannis Kapodistrias himself chose the location, where the school was later erected. The plan was designed by the French colonel Auday of the Morea Expedition. He was the person who designed the plan of the new city of Methoni outside the Castle. The Kapodistrian School was build in short period and it was inaugurated on August 13 1830. The school was in use throughout the 19th century, until 1940 and was a property of Greek State. On April 2 1940 the building was sold and served various purposes ever since. In 1951 by Decision of the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs the "Kapodistrian School of Methoni" was designed as "Listed Historical Monument" (Ministerial Decision 1565/71/15-2-1951. Official Journal 33/B/23-2-1951). The architectal taking mesured drawing at the monument was carried out in the 1998 by the 5th Ephorate Byzantine Antiquities. In 2000 the Greek government expropriated the property to archaeological purposes (Official Journal 76/D/14-2-2000). In 2008 in the context of the Operational Program "Culture" of the 3rd Community Support Framework the 26 Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities carried out a study for the Restoration of the School. The project "Restoratioon of the Kapodistrian School of Mutual Learning in Methoni" was implemented after being introduced to the Program "Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship" of the NSRF (National Strategic Reference Framework). The budget was 650.000,00 euro. It was carried out since February 2012 until December 2015 by the Committee for the Promotion. Restoration and Preservation of the Pylio Castles under auspices of the Directorate of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Culture and Sports. The Ephorate of Antiquities of Messinia is in charge of monuments protection and operation. Ministry of Culture and Sports - Ephorate of Antiquities of Messinia.
  • Φωτογραφίες Venetian well of The Syngrou Square.
The centre of the Syngrou Square is dominated by a Venetian well which was built during the second period of Venetian Rule, between 1686 and 1715. The well is 2.60 m (8.5 ft) in diameter. Its present depth is measured at 4 m (13 ft). It was particularly important during the days of the castle’s occupation and thus, extremely protected by the locals. There are plenty of references to its existence with the name “Azimo” (Άζυμο). Additional reference is found in the texts of a Turk traveller (“Travelling around Greece”, 1668 - 1671).
  • Φωτογραφίες Venetian well of the Syngrou Square.
The centre of the Syngrou square is dominated by a Venetian well which was built during the second period of Venetian Rule, between 1686 and 1715. The well is 2.60 m (8.5 ft) in diameter. Its present depth is measured at 4 m (13 ft). It was particularly important during the days of the castle’s occupation and thus, extremely protected by the locals. There are plenty of references to its existence with the name “Azimo” (Άζυμο). Additional reference is found in the texts of a Turk traveller (“Travelling around Greece”, 1668 - 1671).
  • Φωτογραφίες Methoni castle
  • Φωτογραφίες Photo
  • Φωτογραφίες Ancient well

Σχόλια

    You can or this trail