2 εμφανίσεις, 0 αποθηκεύσεις
κοντά στην περιοχή Thisseío, Attica (Greece)
The abandoned Neoclassical house (built in 1910) is a very interesting building. On its roof are still standing two statues made of clay. Actually this is one of the few surviving examples of houses with this kind of decoration in Athens.
The tall house, built on the rock has some characteristics of the traditional architecture. Probably is one of the oldest in the region dating possibly in the 19th c.
The small abanedoned house is a humble construction but important as a rare example of a residence of the poorer classes of Athens in 19th-early 20th century. These houses were always built around a yard (a tradition of centuries) and featured all around spacious wooden balconies (''hagiatia''- ''χαγιάτια'').
An imposing, very interestng Neoclassical house. Unfortunately is abandoned and has lost much of its decoration on the exterior which was made on relief on the mortar as it was usual those times.
A small neighborhood of modern houses of poor families which have some interest. To the east is a group of buildings inside a high wall with crosses on its doors (small monastery?).
The square tower is today one of the few visible parts of the Long Walls. On its remains is preserved a circular construction (in soft stone?-earth bricks?) which possibly dates at the late Roman-Byzantine period.
A small interesting house probably of the last period of Neoclassicism in Greece. Unfortunately has been recently badly restored and painted. Unfortunately this is common in nowdays Athens. Most of the restored Neoclassical buildings are especially badly painted in a color scheme which makes no sence and is totally disrepectful to the style and the history of the preserved buildings. If you want to see the original appearance of the house activate the Google Street View.
The street is unique as it preserves all its Neoclassical buildings in excellent state and give us an idea of how many neighborhoods in Athens looked in the late 19th-early 20th century.
A line of three beautiful Neoclassical houses. The two at the left have not been renovated and preserve their authentic color scheme in earth colours. The door of the middle house has been altered possibly in the 50's-60's.
Groups of this kind of buildings were built in various places of Athens from 1930 in order to house some of the refugees from Asia Minor who came after the Greek-Turkish war of 1919-1922. Today are very altered and in poor state of preservation.
The large blocks possibly come from a section of the Long Walls which was dismantled during modern construction works and stored here awaiting reassembly.
You can cross Kifisos river through several small bridges under the modern highway. The construction of this large rioad over the river was highly controvesial among other things because it prevents the sunlight from reaching the waters of the river. The river today, shadowed is very dirty and smelly.
The large house was built in the early 20th c. and its architecture is influenced by contemporary constructions in France.