625 εμφανίσεις, 2 αποθηκεύσεις
κοντά στην περιοχή Le Pastinelle, Lazio (Italia)
The areas where the sappers of the 4th Division were working in late April - early May 1944, in preparation for the assault on the Gustav line. - Many thanks to Ron Gilleard to bring me personally on the spots. Much more info on: www.shiny7.uk - (Pino Valente)
Tucked away and somewhat forgotten, just off the famous Route 6 west of Cassino, is a memorial column to King George VI. It commemorates his visit to the Italian battlefields and specifically Cassino in July 1944. King George liked to visit the areas where his troops had been fighting and meet the men, and as the Italian campaign by the summer of 1944 was moving to the North of Italy, it was deemed safe for him to make a tour. While the Battle of Cassino had ended two months before, the whole area around the town was still a wasteland of rubble and utter desolation. Route 6 was still a vital transport link from Naples, where all the supplies came in, and it is likely the King would have seen many troops during his visit here. The Memorial appears to date from the 1950s and is the only specifically British official monument on the battlefield, aside from the war cemetery. It remains in a fairly poor and dirty condition and it is uncertain who cares for it. https://worldwar2revisited.com/2015/02/15/king-george-vi-memorial-cassino/
Exact position of 7 Fd Coy lying up area 10th - 16th May 1944: Their first task when they moved in here on the evening of 10th May, was to push RASC vehicles out of the ditch. In 1944 the infrastructure in this area was just narrow, muddy tracks, there were foxholes in the banks from a previous battle. Some of the men occupied them.
On the 11th May, a Platoon, less one section, from 7, 59 and 225 Field Companies, were to be on standby as the CRE's reserves and to be located at the CRE's Tac HQ. After the assault phase, the route of this location was to be known as the yellow route, a one way system for wheeled vehicles returning from the front area.